Your Blog Steward

My photo
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
I am more and more convinced that most congregations die from a staggering lack of imagination. Let's change that. Let's imagine a creative future with God and each other together. Drop me a line on email or leave a comment if you have thoughts on God, Jesus, congregations, the church or whatever.... I look forward to our conversations.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Now is the winter of our discontent..."

Made glorious summer by who? I am not on expert of climate change, but I do believe things change. And the more agency you have, the more capacity you have to effect change. So do I believe humanity causes climate change? Certainly. What creature has more agency than humanity? So, if the climate is changing chances are humans did it, even if cow flatulence is the prime culprit.

 I am tired of winter this year. I am not sure why. I don't mind moving slower...it's not real cold where I am at (although when the entire nation was cold, I spent that time in St. Paul, MN...and I remembered why I moved. Brutal.) I love the snow which today is falling in big flakes, and giving Omaha a nice, wet layer of white. But I want warmer...I want to wear my Birkenstocks...I want to go without a jacket (I don't do coats unless I am hunting in the mountains.) I don't know, it's just different this year...I want winter over.

It's just winter, but why am I so discontent? Just one of those mysteries, I guess...

One of the things Shakespeare notes is that the change happens because someone (this son of York) precipitates it. I wonder if that is why winter is so frustrating this year? I'm not sure from where Spring will arise this year? Or from whom? It seems like nothing is on the horizon. Just endless winterwinterwinter...

Fortunately, this week's muse, and to be honest he's been a muse for a few decades now, has a suggestion. He suggests we start close in, with ourselves, and seek to be the change we want to see happen.  Usually that kind of stuff is too corny for me, because if I knew how to change myself I probably would. But would I?

We all know that best way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more, but how many of us do it? Seeking to be the change we want to see happen is difficult, not because of the ideal it poses, but rather that it asks us TO CHANGE. And who wants to do that?  We are given the freedom to change, but that doesn't make it any easier to actually change. This is where the patience of God is tested...waiting for us to change...to repent...to turn around...to seek to replace discontented winter with glorious summer. Jesus resurrection's happened, the freedom is there...but is the desire? How do you change? Where do you start?
Here's the muse.

Where's that mirror?

May your tables be full and your conversations be true.



No comments: