Your Blog Steward

My photo
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
I am more and more convinced that most congregations die from a staggering lack of imagination. Let's change that. Let's imagine a creative future with God and each other together. Drop me a line on email or leave a comment if you have thoughts on God, Jesus, congregations, the church or whatever.... I look forward to our conversations.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Blues, BBQ, and Blood

I am a product of the blues. This kind of blues  (actually Johnny Lang is too good looking to have the blues) But who doesn't love that song?

And when you're my size, you are also often the product of BBQ. Stuff like this  To me, there is nothing better than a grill full of meat.

But really I am a product of my mom and dad. I am their blood. 

Lots goes into making a person, from the music that underlays the soundtrack of their life; to the food one prefers that keeps one going, to the families that got one started and accompany one on the journey. But I wonder if the most important thing, even more important than music (doubtful), food (probably), and family (certainly) is the friends we make along the way?

I found a great friend, now about 27 years ago, who is without a doubt the single most important influence on who I am and what I do. I have friends, many of you gentle readers, whom I've known for years. I have new friends that keep my interested and entertained these days too. I am proud of my friends, and glad to be known by them.

I still peruse Facebook to look at pictures and to keep up with the "news." I love seeing what my friends are up to, and in some cases I am amazed they are my friends because they do such amazing things. Do I actually know (or in some cases, did know) someone who can do such amazing things? I know my Facebook "friends" are just a drop in the bucket to all the wonderful people I've been able to come across the last 50 years. So many...so many people I owe a debt of gratitude for showing me a trick, or keeping me alive, or helping me avoid disaster...so many friends over the years.

A lot goes into the making of a person. But when I die I don't want to be remembered by the food I ate, or the music I preferred, or even the family from which I came...I want to be remembered by all the people who have been a part, if even for one night, of my life.

So who makes you? Who are your friends? Who have been your companions? In the days we have, may God bless us with many friendships, new, re-newed, or even re-made. According to most traditions, the Son of God, Jesus of Nazareth, never married. Didn't care much for his birth family. And ate whatever was set in front of him. (Sadly, he lived before Robert Johnson could bring music to a new level.) But the guy had friends...in fact, all the stories we have about him are stories told by his friends. No one, and I mean no one, made friends like this dude. Christianity isn't a religion, it's just a bunch of friends on a way...and I am thankful so many of you join with me.

May your tables be full, and your conversations be true.

No comments: