Your Blog Steward

My photo
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
I am more and more convinced that most congregations die from a staggering lack of imagination. Let's change that. Let's imagine a creative future with God and each other together. Drop me a line on email or leave a comment if you have thoughts on God, Jesus, congregations, the church or whatever.... I look forward to our conversations.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

If I could...

If I could...if...if...if...

Such a little word, but nothing places the gap between our realities and our dreams more than "if." Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes it's not. Listen to this rather famous song . Marvin Gaye. He--along with Sam Cooke--are the two artists I most wished I could have seen live. (Maybe Marley.)

I am not too much interested in crossing the chasm of "if." There are way too many variables to ever get a sense of why something happens and something else does not. I wish I could make a principle or come up with a system, but I can't. And I won't.

Because life is the space "if" creates. Somewhere, somehow our reality morphs into tomorrow, and if is replaced with "was." Consider this rather classic "if" scenario:

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday if you buy me a hamburger today.

Do you buy the hamburger? Depending upon how you respond to that if, your time until next Tuesday has something hanging over it. Or maybe, you just buy the hamburger and forget about it. That's fine too, even if you get paid on Tuesday.

Jesus Christ often lived within the time of "if." So many people had so many needs, so many people had so many requests, so many people had so many prayers, and "if" he would just...(whatever) their world would be all right.

In the end Jesus saw that the world of "if" can consume you. Literally eat you alive. So he ended it. He took away all the "ifs." He made an unconditional promise. No ifs, ands, or buts..I love you. My death is the sign of my love, my resurrection is me keeping the promise. And that promise, that love, is always yours, even "if" you don't love any more. How are "ifs" running your life these days? How is that promise closing the gap between your reality and your dreams? Here's another Mo-town song you might want to hum. Thank you Mr. Mayfield.

May your tables be full and your conversations be true.

No comments: