Your Blog Steward

My photo
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
I am more and more convinced that most congregations die from a staggering lack of imagination. Let's change that. Let's imagine a creative future with God and each other together. Drop me a line on email or leave a comment if you have thoughts on God, Jesus, congregations, the church or whatever.... I look forward to our conversations.

Friday, March 19, 2010

A Long, Cold Winter

It has been a long, cold winter up here in the north...do not be deceived...this is the kind of winter that keeps my folks saying "That's why we moved to Florida!"

These kind of winters take a toll on everybody, whether we realize it or not...we may think we are doing "OK," or that we are coping and surviving, but in reality...we are just numb to anything more than the most basic of necessities or common of courtesies...we like to kid ourselves that we don't do anything rash (none of us move away, for example, as next year might be warmer), and we don't get "too crazy."

Unfortunately this past week got a little too crazy for one young couple, and he wound up brutally beating her and she died. There are so few things in this world that are certain, but certainly this is wrong on all accounts. No matter how troubled the relationship, we have to count on a husband and a wife not to kill each other. Right before I met with the family of the deceased woman for a prayer service, I met with another young couple who are getting married later this summer.

When I told them where I was headed after our meeting, both of them shook their heads in sympathy for the young woman. I looked at them for a moment, and told them I usually don't give marital advice...after 22 years of marriage all I know is to listen more than talk...but I did offer this advice...no matter how much you hate the other person, don't kill each other. They nodded, and realized that this gift of life isn't just an intricate game of playing "house" in your folks basement at the age of 10.

It is difficult enough to get out of a relationship which carries the promise of an unbreakable vow...even in the face of abuse and degradation...but there is never an excuse for violence...because if the cross of Jesus the Christ means anything it means that we should live without resorting to violence...that we still do...well, that's why I still have a job. But I would gladly retire if we could give up violence to ourselves, to each other, and even to our God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing to our attention, again, that violence and killing are not answers to any problem. Our lives should mirror God's Commandments: Love your God with all of your heart, mind, and soul. Love your neighbor as yourself. If only we, as Christians, can make a difference in someone's life so that this violence to one another does not ever happen again. Our sympathy goes out to the family whose loss is so great.