Your Blog Steward

My photo
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
I am more and more convinced that most congregations die from a staggering lack of imagination. Let's change that. Let's imagine a creative future with God and each other together. Drop me a line on email or leave a comment if you have thoughts on God, Jesus, congregations, the church or whatever.... I look forward to our conversations.

Thursday, March 5, 2015

On being a grandpa

A month ago today I became a grandfather. Add this to the list of relationships I have or have had. This is a new one to me, and one I wonder how to do--or more accurately--how to be.

Like many of my generation I had two grandfathers. I knew them both, and they died within a couple of years of each other. I did not have the same kind of relationship with my two grandpas. One, I consider a major influence on my life; the other, I barely knew. I can recall countless conversations and stories with one of my grandpas, and I don't know if I ever had a conversation with the other one. He wasn't a real talkative guy.

I remember one grandfather used to get me magazine subscriptions for my birthday. I usually got Outdoor Life and Sports Illustrated. I used to look forward every week to Friday. I would get my SI copy and read it cover to cover, usually before bedtime. And one Friday every month would be extra special because I would get both, and the Outdoor Life magazine was my constant companion--even in the bathroom!
 I remember this cover. I remember this one too.  She was Billy Joel's wife, I guess...whatever, I was 17.

These days I am trying to read less on computer screens. I don't own an e-reader of any kind, and I probably won't unless they stop printing books and magazines. I read the old-fashioned way because it hurts my eyes too much to read screens for more than an hour, and I like to read for long periods of time. So I read books at my desk. (Obviously I read at computer screens too--but I try never to only read that way.)

I have three academic degrees in reading. It has always fascinated me, and I have always loved doing it. I remember reading once that a "reader" is someone who has to read all the time, even cereal boxes at breakfast. I can't tell you how many cereal boxes I have read over the years.

Right now I have about six books going, and my usual research into a book of the Bible. (Ephesians these days.) Put in a few scrolls through Facebook, and couple of internet articles from Alternet or Salon, and you get a full day of reading. Sadly, unlike the magazines my grandfather got for me, most of books I read these days don't have pictures...which--apparently--is my loss.

What are you reading these days?

May your tables be full, and your conversations be true.

No comments: