Your Blog Steward

My photo
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
I am more and more convinced that most congregations die from a staggering lack of imagination. Let's change that. Let's imagine a creative future with God and each other together. Drop me a line on email or leave a comment if you have thoughts on God, Jesus, congregations, the church or whatever.... I look forward to our conversations.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Welcome from Omaha

As a species, I believe humanity is the most adaptable creature God has made, and to prove a point, I am going to adapt to Omaha, NE as my new home for the next chapter of my life. Here are some things I believe will be different from my time in Bismarck, Minneapolis, Chicago, Austin, and any other place I've lived over the years.

New Heights of HUMIDITY (I did not say "humility", as some things never change!) Even though Chicago and Minneapolis could be humid, Omaha seems to relish in high humidity...this may slow me doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooown aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa biiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Myb nt.

People. This will be new after 8 years in North Dakota. The greater Omaha area has almost exactly twice as any people as the entire state of North Dakota, keeping North Dakota still as the smallest city I have ever lived in. Fortunately, I like people, and now there are so many more choices....I am excited for all this new folks stuff.

Traffic. This comes with the people, but if I ever had to wait through 2 left turn lights in Bismarck I ran it...now, this is a regular occurrence in Omaha...the Camaro is sad.

Churches. My God (literally) there are a boatload of Christian churches in this town. God is very popular down here it seems. I hope this doesn't translate into a lot of work for me...working will ruin my retirement.

But God's continual looking out for me doesn't change no matter where I live. The freedom to live in Christ perdures thoughout time and space, and I trust in the Holy Spirit to get me through...as I sit in my air-conditioned car, watching all these people make left turns in front of me going to church...welcome to Omaha.

May your tables me full, and your conversations be true.

No comments: